A holistic system that believes mind, body, and spirit have to be in sync to be healthy and happy, Ayurveda goes back 3000 years ago. In recent times, principles of Ayurveda have gained immense popularity amongst us. I can understand why: they’re not very tough to follow and promote healthy habits.
For those of you who don’t know about this holistic science, here are a few points:
- Ayurveda means natural healthcare. It is a form of preventive and curative health care.
- Most herbs, medicines or practices have little to no side-effects
- It is believed to invigorate your spiritual, emotional, and physical well-being
- It is a treatment with long-term benefits, as it treats the disease from its roots: consistency is key.
The situation today is that most of us have a sedentary lifestyle. Our fast lives are intermixed with us sitting around long hours, stressing out and leading to lifestyle diseases including weight gain, BP and type 2 diabetes. Here are a few easy-to-follow Ayurvedic principles you should know about:
- Treat Type 2 Diabetes: Apart from genetic reasons, it can occur because of a sedentary lifestyle and obesity. People with diabetes are under continuous threat of a stroke or heart problem. In Ayurveda, diabetes is known as Madhumeha. The ayurvedic treatment of diabetes depends on the change in lifestyle. There are certain herbs which can help you maintain a healthy routine. In addition to dietary and lifestyle change, herbs such as aloe vera, bitter melon, holy basil, cinnamon, help your internal body system to function normally.
- Deal better with blood pressure: Hypertension puts a patient at a high risk of serious health disorders like brain stroke, heart attack, etc. As per some rough estimates, approximately one-third of the Indian population will suffer from hypertension by 2020. Considering the today’s hectic schedule, there are high chances that these numbers will increase further. A person with high blood pressure suffers from severe headaches and vision changes. The best ayurvedic home remedies for hypertension include the consumption of ginger and garlic. Start your morning with 3-4 garlic buds (peeled) with water on an empty stomach. Alternatively, you can make a juice of 10-12 basil leaves and 3-4 garlic cloves and have it once a day. It detoxifies your internal system, including your heart.
- Boost Your Immunity: Flu season is here, and if you’re prone to colds and coughs (like me!), build your immunity. Including citrus sources as a part of your daily diet will help you fight common health problems like cold, fever, and also increases your body’s defense. In traditional ayurvedic medicines, a multitude of herbs, vitamins, minerals, and proteins are mixed to strengthen the immunity system. You can consume ayurvedic herbs like Tulsi, ginger, etc.; which are natural immunity boosters. In addition, practice yoga to better your physical and mental wellbeing. It keeps you strong emotionally.
- Detoxify and lose weight: There are many ayurvedic measures, which detoxify your internal system. They are an effective aid in weight loss as well. For instance, by practicing yoga, you can reduce your belly fat, and strengthen your muscles as well. Natural herbs like ginger improve your metabolism and reduce your cholesterol levels. Nigella seeds or Kalonji is another herb to improve your digestion.
- Find a new way to deal with stress: There is a proven link between high stress-levels and poor physical health. Stress and worry can disrupt your life, and therefore, relaxation and meditation techniques are useful in leading a centered and balanced life. Meditation and breathing exercises (anulom-vilom) can help reduce tension and unclog your mind.
- Enjoy healthy, glowing skin: There’s so much you can, and should do with natural ingredients. Turmeric, for example, has antiseptic effects and can be used to treat skin infections. Likewise, sandalwood, aloe vera, are a few herbs which allow your skin to breathe, and help in the formation of healthy cells. There are essential oils like Eucalyptus, grapefruit, mustard oil, which help in treating inflammation.
Good health is synonymous with Good Premiums
Therefore, the continuous practice of a traditional system, including yoga, can help you buy a health insurance policy at affordable premium rates. I am not kidding. Your good health can help you in buying health insurance at easy premium rates. The sooner you buy a health insurance, the better. After all, the younger you are, the lower the premium.
Not just that, a few health insurance companies offer discounts on the basis of your health. For instance, if you practice Ayurvedic principles, exercise regularly or go for yoga classes: you can earn wellness points which are then translated into lower premium rates. Or, you can redeem these points to get coverage for services like consultation charges and diagnostic expenses which are NOT usually covered.
We hope you liked this post!