With festivities around the corner, most of us want to prep-up for the season. Deadlines, busy weekends and impromptu monsoon showers leave our hair weak, frizzy and dull. Here are some things we thought you should make time for:
- Don’t skip a scalp massage: Slapping on some coconut oil or serum just won’t do. Invest 5 to 10 minutes in a quick scalp massage before you shampoo. Use your thumb and fingers to massage the centre and sides of your head—go gentle on your scalp to avoid breakage. Experts agree that this helps boost blood circulation, which in turn promotes healthy hair and growth. Try The Body Shop Rainforest Coconut Hair Oil, Rs 645, or Wella Professionals Oil Reflections, Rs 850, for rewarding effects.
- Tweak your shampoo routine: Make sure you choose products depending on your hair type and needs. For instance, if you hair tends to get dry, use shampoo only on scalp, letting it run through your layers while rinsing it off. Similarly, don’t apply your favourite conditioner on your scalp—use a wide-tooth comb to spread it evenly only on your strands. Finally, use lukewarm or tepid water to wash your hair to help seal the outer layer of your hair.
- Get your basics right: Like they say, it’s what on the inside that matters. Make sure you do your bit and try to maintain a balanced diet. Eat foods high on proteins such as soyabeans, tofu, chicken and eggs. If you are facing hair fall, opt for biotin and zinc supplements—they are easily available at pharmacies and have proven to improve hair health.
- Choose wisely: We all love to colour but make sure you consult a hair expert before opting for global colouring. If you started greying prematurely or have 10-30% greys, it’s wiser to opt for highlights since most formulas are ammonia-free and do not affect the cuticles of your hair. If you opt for professional colouring, take time out for post-colouring care on weekends. This could include hair spas at the salon or at home. You can try L’Orèal Paris Casting Crème Gloss, Rs 495, for ammonia-free coverage. Opt for Wella Alchemy Treatments at Wella Salons, Rs 1600 upwards, to revive, add shine and strength to your hair.
- Pamper your hair: Be it touch-ups, styling or using a straightener, we do end up putting our hair through so much sometimes. Try these rejuvenating fixes for your mane. For those of us who use a lot of products, try this DIY fix to make your hair residue-free. Just adding a teaspoon of baking soda to your shampoo, applying and keeping it for 2-5 minutes can get you results. And for instant shine: take 1 part of apple cider vinegar and add it to 3 parts of warm water. A quick rinse helps rebuild the pH balance of your hair.