It’s always exciting to have a new highlighting product to join your makeup drawer but is that the only way to glow? It always breaks my heart to remove my makeup and see dull and tired skin underneath all the makeup. Cut to my realisation that instead of loading up on makeup products to make my skin glow, I should load up on the skincare my skin is begging for. We tell you the LONG-AND-SHORT of getting a NATURAL GLOW.
You’re what you eat. And drink. Drink and eat better to get a natural glow on your face
Your skin is also an organ which reacts to high levels of stress and dehydration. To glow, it needs to be nourished and hydrated internally. Be for Beauty gives you three short and simple, tried and tested steps to follow to glow naturally:
- If you eat a lot of junk or fried food, or drink or smoke a lot, chances are you need to clear up your system. Read on the article for tips on detoxing and juicing.
- Have a little bite of dark chocolate everyday: it’s better than milk chocolate, releases happy hormones and lends a happy, natural glow on your skin.
- Increase the amount of water intake your system. If you drink about 2 liters, double it to 4 liters. Yes, it’ll increase your visits to the washroom but this does a great job in flushing out toxins from your body. To help this further, put water in attractive tumblers so you actually feel like holding and drinking from it. This actually does work!
Juicing really helps detox and achieve a highlighter glow for your skin
If you’re a whiner when it comes to eating green vegetables and fruits, juice and drink them instead! Cold pressed juices like Raw Pressery are taking the health and beauty world through a spin. They are priced between Rs 150-Rs 200 but usually have more nutrition than normal juices lack. In fact, we also took a demo of the Usha Cold Pressed Juicer and were simply blown away! The range is Rs 15,000 upwards on Amazon so if you’re hoping to clear skin issues like breakouts, acne scars and just enjoy healthy skin, you should go the juicing way.
Our favourite recipe: Spinach and Kale Juice with Apple and Lemon
– The greens in the juice will provide instant nutrition to your skin, that is not present in our regular diet. The lemon will not only make add the citrus component but also help alkalise your body and reduce breakouts. We all know how tasty and useful apples are so I’m going to leave it at that.
Customise your skincare on the basis of your needs.
No matter how dry, normal or oily your skin is, you must have a skincare regime that suits your skin type and makes it feel clean and supple. Having said that, try tweaking it:
1. Switch to CTMS instead of CTM: We all are aware of the CTM (Cleansing, Toning, Moisturising) routine that everyone must follow. In my personal experience, I’ve added an “S for serums” instead.
I used to think toners help keep the pH balance of my skin so if I don’t tone my skin, it won’t glow! But serums have been a god-send.
Check if your toner is helping you. If it makes your skin dry or just simply dull looking, then skip it or look for a better one. The ‘glowing’ process can be helped with serums instead. They’re usually of a light, gel-like consistency, to be applied after cleansing and before moisturising. Use a serum like The Body Shop Vitamin C Boost, Kaya Brightening Serum or Olay Regenerist Advanced Anti-Ageing Microsculpting Serum.
2. Make the most of face masks: Packaged by the most famous beauty brands or made at home, face masks give a spa-like experience to your skin. Our dull and worked up skin needs to be relaxed and be given a chance to breathe.
~ Masks with lactic acid and charcoal are being talked about everywhere. Face masks like Clinique Pore Refining Solutions Charcoal Mask contain active ingredients that leaves your skin dirt-free.
~ Activated charcoal does the job of removing toxins from your and also helps in cleansing make up. Manavi is obsessed with Biore’s Face Cleanser (she actually had one of her friends carry it in her luggage) and blackhead strips, we are also very excited to review Blossom Kochar Aromamagic Charcoal Range.
~ Lactic acid, on the other hand, has aHa properties which help balance your skin’s texture and reduce signs of ageing. Lactic acid face masks can be made at home with the help of some yoghurt and crushed oats. Little less do you know about the benefits of yogurt; it can make your skin glow with the natural lactic acid it has.
Use the right highlighter.
Now that your diet and skincare regime is in place, you can experiment with different highlighters.
~If you like the stick format, try Deborah Milano Bronze Perfect Highlighting Stick.
~If you like baking or strobing you should try Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick Compact
~If you’re all about an illuminated glow or finish, try NYX Born To Glow.