So it’s been about a month and I have given out a lot of information for those of us who haven’t tried shaving, or think that shaving can lead to a lot of problems…Here is a round up of all you need to know to #subscribetosmooth. We also got one of Be For Beauty’s favourite skin experts and Gillette’s ambassador, Dr Rashmi Shetty, Bombay based cosmetic physician, to give us a lowdown on shaving tips and myths. Here’s what you need to know:
- The quickest way to prep your skin for shaving is to wet it with water with shaving gel. This will hydrate the skin and softens the hair follicles.
- Lather, lather, lather since it softens the hair and makes the task much faster and smoother. Avoid soaps because your skin needs specialized products like Gillette Venus Satin Care or other shaving gels.
- Shaving doesn’t affect the texture of your body hair. Hair growth is determined by your genetic and hormonal makeup. It has no involvement in changing the color or texture of the skin. Having said that, the skin can FEEL coarser to touch when the hair is really short. When your hair grows in diameter, it will taper and soften. In the meantime, you can use a good scrub and moisturize after with a good body lotion or oil.
- It’s normal but not good to apply pressure while shaving. You can two things to avoid it: shave in the direction that goes along the hair growth and choose a good razor. The ideal razor should’ve a flexible neck to ensures the pressure is not transferred from the handle to the blade. It should also have a cushion around the blade to avoid scraping the skin.
5. Shaving has nothing to do with ingrowth and open pores. Hair in-growth is caused when you traumatise hair and it ends up growing in the wrong direction and curls up.
6. A lot of women use hair removal creams on their belly and back and MAY end up giving more problems than acting as a solution. Dr Rashmi Shetty ideally recommends shaving and then LASER reduction.
7. It is always a bit unnerving to shave yourself down there. Trim your pubic hair before you start shaving. Use a razor with flexible blades and cushions for a smooth shave. Before shaving, make sure you moisturize the skin with a shaving gel. Use antibacterial and antifungal oils to make sure your skin is protected.
Follow me on Twitter @beforbeauty for more updates